Sustainable Development Research
Welcome to Sustainable Development Research. Our aim is to bring you all the latest news about sustainability-related research and resources, events, calls, case studies and jobs.
Everyone deserves the right to comfortable living standards with greater home comforts and affluence. Global economic prosperity is vital if countries around the world are to continue their prosperous growth. In order to achieve this, businesses need to supply ever increasing standards of product functionality and quality that meet the needs of the people they are trying to sell them to and at sales prices they can afford to pay.
In order to achieve this, global workforces need to be well educated and highly skilled with ongoing personal development to ensure that working practices are always at the cutting edge. Likewise, everyone has the inalienable right to a clean, safe and healthy environment.
Therefore, the objective of sustainable development is to bring into harmony our environmental, economic and social needs for the benefit of generations of present and future global inhabitants. Sustainable development involves an integrated, long term approach to the creation of prosperous and healthy communities by the coordination of social, economic and environmental issues while at the same time conserving and protecting against over exploitation of the earth’s precious resources.
Consequently, sustainable development is activity which satisfies the needs of the present generation without impacting on future generations’ ability to satisfy their own human needs. In policy terms, the achievement of economic growth that is environmentally sustainable is economic activity that meets the needs of today’s world without depriving future generations of natural resources that we take for granted today.
The sustainable development concept was first introduces in the early nineteen eighties via the activities of the World Wildlife Fund, the United Nations Environment Programme and the International Union for Conservation of Nature with the aim via a global conservation strategy to reconcile global development and conservation agendas and subsequent activities.
Development with sustainability in mind, inspires us to enhance and conserve our precious resources by evolving the how we manage our development through deployment of new emerging technology and new methods identified by scientific research whilst at the same time, allowing nations to fulfil the base needs of their citizens by way of food, employment, energy, sanitation and water supply.
To achieve this in a sustainable manner, population levels need to be controlled, economic growth supported proactively. In addition, “developed” nations must ensure that “developing” countries are allowed to have a similar level of prosperity and economic growth across 4 key aims of sustainable development including:
- stable, growing economies
- social equality & progress
- conservation of natural resources
- environmental protection
Such objectives can be realised by the reduction of poverty, pollution, unemployment and substandard housing. There is no excuse for any human being on our planet being treated unfairly. The threat to our environment from low air quality and major changes in our global climate, should be mitigated to keep our environmental and our people in the best of health! Reducing our reliance on fossil fuels which cannot be renewed can be done by introducing more efficient energy usage while simultaneously seeking viable alternatives for the longer term.
See the Policy Studies Institute website here
- The Josef Umdasch Research Prize is Dedicated to Sustainable Ideas in the Consumer Sector - Yahoo Finance
- Energa gets PLN 2 bln loan for sustainable development - Warsaw Business Journal
- Green and sustainable hospitality design - The Manila Times
- As Climate Crisis Worsens & Poverty Rises, UN Appears Off-Track on Development Agenda - Inter Press Service
- Is education standing up to the task of climate action? - Brookings Institution
- Key Changes in International Agriculture and Rural Development Issues: Three Priority Areas in the Context of the 2030 Development Agenda - Inter Press Service
- Dow Jones Sustainability Index Recognizes Entergy's Action Plan for Creating Sustainable Value - PRNewswire
- Climate protection and clean air: An integrated approach - EurekAlert
- Zimbabwe to host Africa Regional Forum on Sustainable Dev't in February - Xinhua | English.news.cn - Xinhua
- AIMPLAS presents innovations in sustainable development at K - EPPM
- UN forum spotlights digital trade facilitation measures to boost sustainable progress in Asia-Pacific - ESCAP News
- Global SDG Awards Launches 2nd Annual Competition Before UN Climate Change Summit 2019 - GlobeNewswire
- 3 things to know about our Sustainable Development Impact Summit - World Economic Forum
- Salesforce Introduces Sustainability Cloud, Empowering Every Business to Drive Impactful Climate Action - Yahoo Finance
- Evonik helps lay the foundations for IPC sustainability push - www.thepoultrysite.com